Skip to main content

Reply to "RAINY DAY THOUGHTS"

I made the mistake many years ago of thinking that an 11 and under AAU team would be easy to form and mold to the style of play that I would have liked.

I had a bunch of gamers but not enough to field a strong team. I also had a bunch of kids who were receiving 'professional instruction'.

The four kids that showed good speed and strong arms, I used to form an outfield. I taught them how to cover the infielder and cover each other. They played so well together that sometimes they would short hop a base hit and make the play to first getting the runner before he got there. They could gamble on charging the ball because they had confidence in the outfielder next to them covering their back. Even with balls hit to the fence, no team managed a double unless the infielder dropped the throw.

The infielders and two pitchers were receiving 'professional instruction' for hitting and fielding. That is with the exception of the catcher. The shortstop and third baseman could catch a grounder occasionally but couldn't reach first base. The second baseman would always come up without the ball on a grounder.

We didn't win a game.

I learned big time not to take a parent's word on their child's ability. Most importantly, I learned that 'professional instruction' means little to nothing in most cases.