Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Mantras"

Update. HC showed up alone. He wanted to see my son go through his entire pre-game ritual and told him he only needed him to throw 15-20 pitches. Interestingly, no radar gun. While he was going through his routine the coach and I spoke, but only about things like the weather and the fact he and my sister graduated from the same high school. While he was pitching, the coach walked around the mound. After, the two of them spoke out of range of my hearing. Then shook hands with him and left.

My son reported that he mainly talked about mechanics and what he did and didn't like, saying there were a couple of things he didn't like but wouldn't change unless he struggled. Then told him he'd call tomorrow or the next day and indoctrinate him on ****** baseball. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting. I figured since he flew this far to see him and we'd been told an offer was coming from the rc, that he'd want to maybe have lunch and talk. I wasn't sure if we'd simply been blown off or not.

However, the rc did text my son at about midnight asking for updated transcripts, test scores and some other information so he could put together a package. 

So, I'm still not entirely sure what happened. In the meantime, a Power 5 school we had never considered or even gotten as much as a camp invite from called him, asked if he was committed, and said they'd like to know where he was pitching next so they could send someone out. However, I think he's pretty much centered in on the A&B schools already mentioned.

To another point, when I brought up that he didn't necessarily like school A, he set me straight that he DID like the school, it was only the baseball facilities that he wasn't enamored with. 

Regardless, he's in a pretty good position and we're pretty happy with it.