Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Mantras"

I did want to take the time to put something out there that I consider a mistake on my part. I didn't pay enough attention to some of the financial aspects when targeting schools. In the beginning, most of the attention he got and most of the targets we focused on were Midwest and Eastern schools. Coming from Colorado, it's difficult as (if you don't count Air Force), we have only one single D1 school and it is horribly underfunded (my understanding is they only fund 3.0 scholarships). People find it almost unbelievable when I tell them Colorado, Colorado State, and University of Denver do not have baseball programs. 

I sort of learned how schools recruit geographically. I'll use Arkansas as an example. The university has a reciprocal deal with every boarder state and Illinois where students from those states pay only 110% of in-state tuition. So, understandably, they will take kids from those states over kids from outside that bubble, all things being the same. Moat southern states have similar programs.

In the West, we have the WUE which includes most western states, but not every school in those states. For example, Washington State is part of the deal, but NOT U of Washington. The WUE allows a student to pay 150% of in-state tuition. It was only after he started getting a few offers from those Mid-western and Eastern schools that the reality of the difference hit me. After that, we started looking closer at these WUE schools where he was a more attractive recruit and where a 40-50% scholarship becomes a much better deal than even 70-75% at the other schools.