Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

baseballhs posted:
FriarFred posted:
JCG posted:

I have 2 thoughts about emails, FWIW.

1 - If the kid uses a special recruiting email address as suggested by Buckeye above, make sure Jr. is careful about checking it or making sure it forwards after the recruiting process is over.   Even though my 2017 told his college coach not to use his recruiting address any longer, coach keeps using it, and as a result he very nearly missed getting his medical forms in in time to play fall ball this year.

2 - Emails etc. cannot hurt.  And good videos are a great tool to have, especially after a coach has seen a kid play.  But from my kid's recruitment, and from that of other kids we know, unsolicited, player-initiated contact has had zero to do with where the kid ends up. 99.9% of recruiting is about getting in front of the right coaches, and the coaches liking what they see.

...just IMHO of course.

Its interesting that in JCG case email didnt do/matter much.  Our experience was that several offers were from being seen (camps, showcases etc.) and rest resulted from son identifying schools and sending unsolicited emails with video as well as monitoring which schools were active on FieldLevel and many follow ups.  Son cast a very wide net with literally hundreds of emails from coast to coast and got some very good responses.  I think this is critical if the schools of interest are not local and are outside of a couple hundred miles from home.  School he ended up signing with never would have known about son if not for unsolicited emails, videos and FieldLevel.  Many different paths to the promised land...

I've never heard of FieldLevel....is it widely used?

I don't know how widely used, but I think it's growing. We used it, helped keep track of contacts and drew interest from coaches outside our area. A couple of the JUCOS my 2018 talked to bragged about how much they use it to manage prospects for their players looking for the next level. A few pricing options, ranging i think from free to $30 or $40 a month. We did the lowest end most of the time, then upgraded for a month or two when I wanted access to the more information available at the higher cost plans.