Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

Zia2021 posted:

Thanks Cacogirl3. Sounds like your son is working hard to meet his goals. Your son sounds like my other nephew (8th grade) who has always worked extra hard and has steadily improved. I didn't mean my nephew's age as an excuse, it was just a context related to Tequila's comment about some kids upping their game around sophmore/junior year. I think you are absolutely right that the truly elite kids have that innate drive from day 1 and never need the wake up call I'm asking about. And at the other end of the spectrum, I know there are kids who have the potential but never develop the drive. I was seeking some confirmation about whether there is also a group of guys that don't have that elite innate drive as they enter high school (probably because they've gotten by on natural talent like Tequila said), but develop it at some point in HS. Great point about the kids around them. 

My son did skate by on natural talent, but when puberty really hit him he was able to move his body better and then running and working out became fun. He was 5'7 and 145 at 12u, now he's 6'3 and 170. Becoming more "manly" helped.