Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

3and2Fastball posted:

Genetics is a huge factor in all athletic achievements, absolutely.  However are we to believe that the current generation is genetically superior to every generation that came before them?  More pitchers than ever are throwing 95+

I believe it is the training that is taking players who could throw 85-90 to 95+ ... 

I think training is THE factor in why we're seeing so much velocity increase rather than some idea that kids are simply throwing with more intent than in the past because someone stuck a radar gun out there. The fact is there are works in play with the body that limit velocity based on structural abilities and training has somewhat overcome genetics in this field. What I mean to say is that more bodies are being developed that can withstand 90+mph velocities. It's no different than any other athletic endeavor. Athletes get bigger, stronger, and faster over time. 

I actually think the way we train and develop athletes now makes for a lot more guys throwing heat being able to last long enough to reach high levels of pro ball where in the past, genetics would have taken over and they would have been physically out of the game due to injury during their teen years or before.