Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

I just don't see how taking 2-3 months off completely from throwing can be anything but good for your longterm health, and whatever limits that puts on how quickly you develop is very much negated by being healthier.

I would largely agree with this statement but with some assumptions.  Assuming you want to throw 100% during the season - and throw harder than last season - you need for your arm to be in top shape from any number of aspects.  Taking off 2-3 months will reduce wear and tear, but something must be done to maintain, or re-establish - full arm strength to include numerous muscles in the arm, shoulder, back, etc.  If you take time off and don't have a really good program to ramp back up, then you can be more prone to injury.  It sounds simple, but throwing a baseball is probably one of the most efficient method of strengthening many of those muscles.  

I do think more kids' arms are getting hurt these days.  Go watch low level 12yo travel ball.  Most of the kids don't really need to be playing travel ball - they need to be practicing.  However, they are out there battling.  The top pitcher is usually some kid who can throw the ball harder than the other 10 kids and the team relies on this kid to win games.  The kid loves it and thinks of himself as a pitcher.  Who knows - maybe Daddy is in the dugout.  Weekend tournament with 5-6 games.  The team has a little success and Little Timmy gets his share of time on the mound both days.  When not on the mound, he's probably playing SS as he can actually get the ball to 1B without a hop.  Daddy's really proud.