Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

Steve A. posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Steve A. posted:

No question. Mechanics, genetics, conditioning, volume of throwing. So many variables.

What is impossible to argue, however, is that throwing a baseball with max effort repeatedly, on a regular basis, is much more likely to result in arm injury than throwing a baseball with moderate effort repeatedly, on a regular basis. This is simply a fact.

So therefore, if you reduce the MAX EFFORT in the equation during the "offseason, or down time" this should logically = less chance of injury. 

So, therefore, launching heavy objects at max effort into nets in the offseason DOES NOT = Less Injury. Launching heavy objects into nets into the offseason = more opportunity for injury. Max Effort being key in the above.

There is only so far you can go with "max effort".  Trust me when I say my son's pitching "max effort" can't come close to what he does from his knees, into a net, with a weighted ball.  And I say again, it's NOT a pitching motion where he can gather momentum, it's more like shot putting.

Totally get it. Sounds like it is a rational approach. I just have seen crazy winter programs in my area & I am sure it is not exclusive to where I am located.

I do not have it figured out by any stretch & that is why I am here. To gain insight into how others like yourself who are students of the process are approaching it & maybe we can help each other in our common goals to make our kids experience as positive as it can be.

Steve, you're not alone with how your viewing this... Try to get educated with the programs, their hypothesis, their results, their plan.  YOU have to be comfortable with what your son is learning.  A very key thing which is a contributor to injuries from all of the advanced techniques is the "actual throwing protocols".  When the players are taught heavy ball or bands, there is a specific way the training has to be done, or the player is exposing himself to unnecessary risk.  Off season protocols with each program, ensuring proper balanced strength (all the muscles in the back, all it takes is one group to weak and throws off the kinetic chain), pre throwing and post throwing routines.