Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

4T2 posted:

I certainly didn't mean to incite a riot with my original question, but I truly appreciate the various perspectives. From the scientifically-based to the empirically-based, I appreciate them all. It seems as though science supports a shut-down, but genetics can "trump" that to some degree (as evidenced by those that skip the shut-down, develop faster, and don't get hurt). Seems like a risk, unless one is awfully certain his kid's arm has that magic genetic advantage. I'll be shutting him down and focusing on other areas of development, personally.

A follow-up question, which was actually 50% of the reason I asked in the first place: how do you manage timing of the shut-down? Many advocate fall-ball, many also advocate attending college camps/showcases in the fall/winter. HS baseball starts up in January...I don't see a 8+ week span in my calendar that accommodates the other activities. How do you shut down, but then perform at a showcase/camp? Am I missing a month in my calendar that you guys all have?

My son shut down for late July & August, started playing baseball again in September, and also started an eight-week throwing program in September. He'll start pitching from a mound again in November, but in the meantime he is just playing as a position player. It certainly complicates things from a recruiting perspective but, like you, it is difficult to find a time to shut down.