Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

CaCO3Girl posted:
PGStaff posted:

I believe that every young pitcher should take at least two months off of competitive throwing.  However, people need to understand that it doesn't have to be the same two or three months for everyone.  But for most it will be in the end of July to beginning of February time frame. In other words within those 6 months. 

Everyone should understand that pitching has risk involved.  You cannot eliminate risk, but you can do things that will help.  High velocity is a problem and can create additional risk.  However in many cases high velocity gets the biggest rewards.  Risk Reward, too much risk might create injury.  No risk = No reward.

Probably still too early to call, but it looks like PitchSmart and HS Association pitch rules are helping to eliminate a lot of abuse. I think we only had one or two violations of the pitchsmart rules all year.  We are talking about thousands and thousands of games.

Pitchsmart is being followed but  do wish the daily limits were set lower for the young kids.  Pitchsmart is SOOO careful in saying anything over 20 pitches needs a full day rest, but then let's a 13 year old  throw 95 pitches in one game and an 11 year old throw 85 pitches?  OUCH!  My son's JV Coach in High School said "You will never throw over 80 pitches in a game, even though the state says you can throw 90."

I really hope they reexamine the daily pitch count for next year. 

Those numbers for 11-12-13 year olds go back to the deal with the devil that Andrews and ASMI made with Little League to get something passed.  He has stated publicly that he wishes they were lower, but they compromised to get Little League on board.  Now those numbers are pretty much etched in stone.