Skip to main content

Reply to ""Shutting Down the Arm""

4T2 posted:

>>>>>>>>

A follow-up question, which was actually 50% of the reason I asked in the first place: how do you manage timing of the shut-down? Many advocate fall-ball, many also advocate attending college camps/showcases in the fall/winter. HS baseball starts up in January...I don't see a 8+ week span in my calendar that accommodates the other activities. How do you shut down, but then perform at a showcase/camp? Am I missing a month in my calendar that you guys all have?

4T2 - For Pitchers, I'd stay away from winter camps.  As you mentioned, there is no way to achieve a complete shut down and rest period, plus the arm will be tired after a full year of throwing, the kid won't show well as a P on a winter weekend.  We've done a quick two week shut down at the end of July and take two weeks to slowly ramp back up so the boys were ready for both fall ball or the fall camps and showcases.  (this served as an excellent mental refresher as well, plus I could play some golf).  Complete shutdown started around Nov 1, started throwing bull pen Jan 15 (or so), ready to go in Feb for HS, which for us starts Mar 1.  

JMO.. the winter camps we attended were more for position players...

If your son is a higher academic kid, get him to a few of the high academic college camps  for the fall of junior year.  Two full days under the watch of all the coaches, if he's got skill and grades the coaches will notice, he'll have momentum going into any October AZ, HF, PG Acad, or ShB large format showcases.