Skip to main content

Reply to "Stalker vs. Jug"

Just a thought....

When I was a cop (speed gun radar) we used to calibrate with a tuning fork and then log that we did. This was done after every stop, so that we knew and could show in court that the readings were accurate.

On saturday, son was clocked at 91 mph at a "pro tryout". Now I know that my boy doesn't throw anywhere near 91, more like 83-85... 91 had him dancing and I'm afraid that he'll think "Well I worked real hard this offseason, and now that I've hit the "almighty ninety" I don't need to work as hard".

Had to bring him back down to earth! When I told him that this guys gun was reading approx 3mph higher than others in operation, and that it was a jugs, and that they read +/- 3 mph higher than stalkers, you could see by his whole body laguage that the air had been let out (that was not my intention, just wanted him to keep working hard)!

Question: Shouldn't the scout/ operator try an calibrate these things so they know they're accurate? I've been around enough to know what it looks like when a guy's really bringing it, but ....

By the way, got the boy out of the doldrums a little when one of the scouts told him that he had a "plus" breaking ball and a "plus" change and that his FB had real good movement. This guy was standing behind the mound and wanted to know who that kid was!

"You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." Bill -Spaceman- Lee