Skip to main content

Reply to "Stanford, Headfirst or Perfect Game Academic Showcases"

Phanatic:  The HF and Stanford Camps are filling up quickly for many of the positions (MIF fills fast), so if you have not signed up your son yet, availability may dictate which one you go to now.  My 2017 is not as strong as it sounds like yours is, but I would guess your son will have success at any of them he goes to.  We opted for HF as the first priority because it sounds like there is a better opportunity to meet coaches at the schools your son is really interested in.  Feedback we got from the Stanford camp is that it is a much larger scale production and less opportunity for meeting the coaches. No doubt the top players get their opportunity to talk to coaches who may be interested in them, but not so sure about the others who might get lost in the crowd.

It also helps if your son knows what his major will be and that can help filter out the schools.  My son is determined to do  engineering.  So I did a search through the schools at HF and found about 20 that have engineering programs, and about half of those are D1 and the other half D2-D3.  From that list he is going to narrow it down to about 10 coaches to e-mail before the camp starts to introduce himself and express an interest in their school and program.  We heard HF takes the time to make the coaches stand up and show themselves to all of the players at the beginning of camp, so there is no excuse not to find them if you are looking for them.  Filtering it down to about 10 programs makes it much easier for him to focus on a match.  No sense in wasting time talking to a Liberal Arts school coach.

P.S. One great strategy I saw elsewhere is to go to HF the days before the Stanford camp.  Many of the same coaches are at both camps, so it would give an extended opportunity to have the player meet the coach first at HF and then follow-up with him at Stanford.  I recognize that is a huge financial commitment, but if it results into admission and some merit money at a top academic school, it would certainly pay off.  And in some cases, it would be cheaper than travel costs to multiple showcases since they are back to back in the same area.