Skip to main content

Reply to "Stanford, Headfirst or Perfect Game Academic Showcases"

One more note on the difference between HF and some other events that 2016 attended last year.  He attended as a PO at an event on LI about a month before HF.  Pitching was in a bullpen after all the position players had done their drills and BP in front of all the coaches.  The coaches moved over to the bullpen and sat on bleachers set up behind the catchers and radar guns were set up with displays to show the velos.  It was two pitchers at a time.  They were all D1 coaches (Northeast schools) who had been paid to attend.  It appeared to be mostly underclass players and as one after another went hitting 77, 78, 79, I could see the coaches rolling their eyes to one another (parents were right behind or too the side).  There was no interaction of any kind with them and it seemed like they couldn't wait to leave - and I didn't blame them as it was about 90 degrees out and there wasn't much too see.  2016 went to get an "official" record of his velo since he didn't go to PG last year and because he was going to  camps at two of the schools in attendance the following weeks.    

In contrast, the entire two days at HF is built around interaction with the coaches.  They are introduced up front, they are participating in every game or walking around between fields as the games are going on and there is no reason you can't find and speak to the coach you want to (if he's there).  There is a much different feel to the camp that you'd have to see to understand completely.  Trust me, I hated spending that amount of money after all that we spent the prior to summers and my wife thought I was crazy - but after she admitted it was the best money we spent.

Edit to note that the camp that redbird posted about looks like a good one with a mix of D1 and D3 schools that matches the kind of mix you'd see at HF (but obviously a lower number in attendance).  

Last edited by MKbaseballdad