Skip to main content

Reply to "Summer league host families"

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I checked the Cape contract and it was $800. Not sure about other leagues etc.

Son played in the Northwoods League (La Crosse Loggers) two summers ago.  The team sets you up with a host family (free) and I think we paid ~$275 basically for the uniform.  A LHP from his school was his roommate.  The NWL is "for profit", which means means that attendees pay to watch (parents got in free if son puts you on the list), which is unlike the Cape where the games are free.   The stadium and concessions were great and La Crosse just did a huge update to their facilities (Univ Wisconsin La Crosse plays on the field, which is a rather new arrangement).  HUGE attendance (like 3500+ per game).  Son didn't get many meals from his host family (I think they were a one-and-done host family), but he could eat all he wanted for free at the local Dairy Queen.  The players would go there between hitting rotations for smoothies .  We gave him money for food and he did cook some, mostly breakfasts.   Dinner was provided to the team from local restaurants, including the away games. 

Games are on TV by subscription, which was fun to watch every night.  We did visit and saw 7 games in 3 different cities.

Many have said the NWL is most like the minor leagues.  Son loved every minute of it and made great friends.