Skip to main content

Reply to "Tags"

coach2709 posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Hey Coach.  I think one of the issues is that, in recent years, runners have gotten more adept at swim moves and other maneuvers to avoid the glove in front of the bag.  I think this is partially a product of replay at the MLB level... this used to be a more "automatic" call and now gets reviewed more frequently.  So, MLBers started using the clever moves and younger players have started emulating.  JMO.

I understand that but I still think keeping the glove near the bag would still be the best option rather than chasing the runner.  I've seen guys go head first and go past the bag kinda rolling away while the fielder is going after him but he takes his leg to be safe.  If he slides past with his upper body then guess what's coming behind?  The lower body - tag it.  Maybe I've been out too long.

Another thing I don't understand is why so many catchers go to one or both knees on plays at the plate.  I know they are trying to minimize catchers getting rolled over and getting hurt but contact is still legal.  You get that knee on the ground then it has very little place to go.  Bend the knees but stay on your feet unless you're going down to initiate contact on a slide.

funny you are replying at this moment... CWS game, 8th inning, LSU with R2, batter hits one to the gap, stretches it trying for two, 2b puts down the perfect tag at the bag, batter/runner performs perfect swim move and avoids the tag... except the ump missed it.