Skip to main content

Reply to "Taking a break from coaching to watch son?"

nxt lvl posted:

Your situation sounds an awful lot like mine. I coached football on a top tier high school program that sends a large amount of kids to D1 colleges. We play a demanding schedule and are a regional powerhouse. My oldest son played at a rival school then transferred in so we could spend more time together. 

He went on to play in college and I continued to coach. His younger brother was in the last years of elementary school. I had a great time coaching on Friday nights and driving 7-8 hours on early Saturday mornings to watch my oldest play college football. 

My youngest son played  3 sports on travel teams and my wife was logging serious highway miles too. After the college season ended I took time to help coach my youngest son's AAU bball team. I was only a "parent" during football and baseball seasons even though I had the opportunity to catch only a few games in each sport because of time.  Fortunately my oldest's college career was winding down the same  time my youngest middle school playing days were heating up and I had a real chance to watch him play and evaluate his talent with a coaches eye. He was good in all sports but not outstanding in any one sport. We had a heart to heart where he declared his intention of playing in college and he decided to train much harder. 

His last year in middle school I gave up my coaching position and turned down several offers from high schools and two colleges also. Only one position I wanted.... to be a Dad and watch my youngest child play baseball in high school. I threw bp after practice to him daily. We worked extra on defense and strength training. Results started showing immediately, we became even closer. Nothing beats "just being a Dad" on the sidelines watching your son play.

Four years flew by and my son will be playing in college next year. Not close, but I dont care. Still turning down offers to coach and now turning down offers to play basketball and baseball on adult leagues. I love sitting and watching my son and talking to the other parents. My wife and I have made life long friends with other parents of players. We share the same passion......We love watching our boys ( oops, soon to be young men ) play. Sometimes it rains or sometimes the temperature is brutally hot or cold. Either way, you cant pry me away. When he no longer plays then I will go back and coach. But for now, me and the other parents are making plans for the senior high school season. Spring break tournament hotels and away game dinners dominate the conversation. I love coaching football, but I love watching my son play baseball a lot more.

NXT LVL - nicely put.  Your rewards will be countless!