Skip to main content

Reply to "Tebow"

Ja'Crispy posted:
jacjacatk posted:
Ja'Crispy posted:
jacjacatk posted:

The Mets cut this guy last October.  And this one. And this one.  All more successful and younger than Tebow's been so far, and presumably a dime a dozen. It's essentially a given that someone similar is at least losing development time*, if not an actual roster spot, to Tebow at this point.

* I mean, the Mets could just be keeping him around to sell jerseys and not actually cutting some schmo earning $1K month to make up for the $100K they have invested in Tebow, but there's only so many PAs to go around, so every PA Tebow gets is one a Stefan Sabol doesn't. Not that it matters all that much, since the Stefan Sabols and Tim Tebows of the world are effectively an unlimited resource, as far as MLB teams needing that level of talent are concerned.

The Mets believe that Tebow was better for their business. They think 6'3" 235 lb super fast and strong Tebow was a business better risk than the 5'11" 200 lb guys they saw play for the last few years. I don't get where this is unfair, these guys all got their shot.  There is no right of equal chances in this world. If he is bad they will cut him as well. I am assuming Tebow and two other players are now taking the ABs these guys used to get. 

Except that it's possible (likely, even) that the decisions regarding Tebow are money, not performance, driven. Which is fine, of course, it is a business, but the idea that Tebow is somehow a better baseball bet than the randoms whose playing time he's now getting is pretty thin. The truth of the matter is that all of them, Tebow included, are the ultimate fungible baseball talent, but it's a lot easier to market Tebow.

Of course that is possible (not likely), but you have to jump through too many hoops and make too many assumptions to get at that.  The simplest explanation is that they want/wanted him to succeed and will make their money off of his success. 

Why make that assumption about Tebow, when the vast majority of players signed by MLB clubs are signed in the full knowledge that they aren't going to ever amount to anything, and the money the teams expect to ultimately make from them doesn't have anything to do directly with their individual success?

FYI, this is what $150K buys you in the draft. Gene Cone.

Last edited by jacjacatk