Skip to main content

Reply to "Television ratings for MLB continue to dominate prime time"

A survey was once done of high school football players. The question was, "Would you still want to be a college and pro football player if you knew you would die at fifty?" 88% responded yes. At the time the mortality age of a lineman was 56. Hiw would the knowledge of CTE change the 88%.

The players aren't worse in the NFL now. The NFL shot for parity and got it. Parity equals mediocrity. Part of the last CBO was a lot less says of contact. You can't teach proper tackling technique without contact.

The one thing I find very noticeable watching football is poor tackling technique. There's way too many body tackling. There's not enough leverage, arms around and wrapping up the ball carrier.

Going back to baseball the Red Sox are mentioned as one of the most watched teams. There was an article in the Globe a couple of weeks ago viewership is down 30% from last year. Maybe it's what happens when a team expected to be good gets four or five hits in way too many games. 

In the past any time I'm home I would turn the game on even if just to look up when the volume increases. Who can actually watch every game? This year I've found myself not turning on the game and watching the MLB TV At Bat 20 minute condensed version in the morning. Even that can be boring if the team isn't hitting..

Last edited by RJM