Skip to main content

Reply to "Television ratings for MLB continue to dominate prime time"

Go44dad posted:
RJM posted:
baseballmom posted:
Go44dad posted:

Dear Northeast Intense Media Markets,

What is wrong with ya'll?

They’re major markets. They have money to spend. With money comes expectations. They’re major media markets with more scrutiny on success and failure. They’re less mobile generational markets. It’s generational fandom passed down. It generates more intensity. 

Athletes in Boston say if you’re producing you’re a god. If your not producing it’s hard to go out in public. Some players don’t like being a god. They want to be able to walk the streets and go unnoticed. 

The same environment is true in NYC and Philadelphia. The same applies to hockey in Canada. Wayne Gretzky said he couldn’t breath in Edmonton. He said in LA he was just another celebrity in the crowd.

I’ve lived in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, LA and San Francisco. In the first three when the team loses the fans die until the next game. Talk radio goes crazy. I’ve seen people in SD, LA and SF who think they’re diehard fans. When their team loses life goes on until the next game/season. LA fans mistake whining for caring. The letters to the LA Times can be funny.

With business travel I’ve spent a lot of time in many cities and attended sports events in their stadiums/arenas. I have impressions. But it’s not the same as having lived there. 

Want to be entertained? Listen to Philadelphia sports talk radio after the Eagles lose. My belief is Philadelphia sports fans are the most psychotic and/or bi polar in the country.

When teams win championships their players get in front of a microphone and say, “We have the greatest fans in the world.” The best fans are those who are there when the team isn’t winning. 

In Boston the fans are there win or lose for all four teams. If the team isn’t winning fans and media want heads to roll. 

Obviously every fan isn’t the same. But this is a long term view of the typical fan in these areas. 

That was a really well thought out answer. 

It was either type or yell at the tv (Patriots game).