Skip to main content

Reply to "Texas Baseball Ranch?"

I'm sure there are others who will chime in who have gone through the Texas Ranch...  My son went through the Florida Ranch (before it was called the Florida Ranch). Randy owns the Florida Ranch and instructs in Texas, so I'll assume it is pretty similar.

The camps really are meant to start you on a path to improve - rather than sending you out the door with magical "improvement".  Your mechanics are evaluated, and any areas of concern are addressed.  They aren't going to try to force you into cookie cutter mechanics, but if you are doing something that either increases your chance of injury or is limiting your performance - it will be addressed.

You will be given instruction on various exercises designed to either increase strength or to develop more efficient movement patterns.  If there are non-typical drills that the instructors feel will be beneficial to your specific situation, you will be taught how to do them properly.

My son was trying to change mechanics to deal with an injury issue, so after the camp he was given a written plan with specific exercises and drills to perform for a month.

The question of is it worth it is a tough one to answer.  It's certainly not cheap.  Players are going to get out of it what they put into it I guess.  Like any program, the results are going to be largely dependent on the dedication of the player. I'm sure there are guys who will say it was a waste of money, and guys who will say it was a great investment.

In my son's case, he went into the Florida Ranch with chronic tendonitis in his elbow.  He left with some modifications to his mechanics, and has not had a day of elbow problems in the 4 years since.  With the new mechanics he also picked up his velocity about 7 mph in a couple of months.  In his case it was a good investment, but anyone's experience may be different.