Skip to main content

Reply to "The DH"

I really wasn't referring to little league (things have gotten blown out of proportion there as it is) but I'm not sure that high school wouldn't be a good place to start following MLB rules. Sure, you would have to keep the 'no contact rule' and maybe a few others, but why not teach them the game based on MLB? Districts could decide if they want AL or NL format. Playoffs could work somewhat like interleague play. Granted, pitchers would not be seeing a whole lot of at bats, and that would be detrimental to them.

All this courtesy runner stuff (how does that affect a catcher in terms of learning to run the bases?), extra hitter, free substitution just takes away from the game, in my opinion.

I think there is entirely too much confusion among players, coaches, fans (and yes - even umpires) with all the different rules one has to follow when considering h.s., college, "select" organizations (AAU, NBC, whatever).

Just my opinion, but then again, I might be happy seeing a return of the spitter and a fifteen inch mound as well....at least for a game or two!