Skip to main content

Reply to "The draft for dummies?"

Smitty28 posted:
Steve A. posted:

Here is the reality of Professional Baseball. Unless they spent a ton of $$ to sign you, you are basically thrown into the "shark tank" to grind it out against the best of the best and make your bones. Nobody really cares about you & nobody really tries to help you (Unless you are a big $$ kid). There is limited or zero instruction & direction provided...

Steve, this entire post is outstanding but this bolded line really jumped out as I re-read it.  How on earth is an 18 year-old supposed to get better (a lot better) without focused instruction and training?  This system is mind-boggling.

Smitty, Great question! Perhaps it is a bit different now, or at least I hope it is. My experience was 25 years ago (mid 90's)

The fact of the matter is that outside of the top 10 Prospects in an Organization, the rest of the guys are there to provide a Roster so these "Real Prospects" can play, improve, get focused attention & pay off at the MLB level. For the rest of the rabble, it is mostly up to you to figure it out, make adjustments & grind it out. Sometimes guys emerge from this abyss & when they do, when you hear the stories about this guy who came from Independent Ball or was a 40th round pick & made it, understand that these are some of the mentally toughest dudes on the planet.  You would want these cats in your fox hole.