Skip to main content

Reply to "The hypocrisy of the NCAA ... Cheating does pay"

Living right in the heart of Big Ten country and being around athletes and coaches, I've seen it all: crimes being covered up, hookers hired, grades fixed, football players driving around in $50,000 vehicles etc etc.... But that has all been in football & basketball programs

I wonder:  does the same sort of thing happen in D1 Baseball?

A friend of mine who was a starting guard for Purdue Basketball in the late 90's/early 00's told me that 90% of the roster was on steroids that were given and/or sold to players by the school trainers.  That it was common knowledge that a majority of Big Ten Basketball & Football players were on steroids and nobody cared as long as money was being made.  And that actual studying for classes was strictly optional.  

He went to his classes and ended up being successful in the business world.  Many others did not.  It was NBA or literally bust for them, and not many made the NBA.  Ultimately those poor decisions are the sole responsibility of the individual athlete, but the environment at the school they made money for sure didn't help.