Skip to main content

Reply to "The "intent" to throw hard"

quote:
I have always told my pitchers that if they want to throw harder, they have to practice throwing harder- it really is that simple. Intent to throw harder is the number 1 criteria for someone who wants to throw harder and ends up throwing harder. Pitchers who throw hard don't just get that way from being lazy with no effort or intent.

The caveat I would suggest with this is that without proper preparation "just throwing harder" is a recipe for potential problems. I accept and recognize that it is your conviction but I would urge you specifically GGBM to consider the pathway of incremental growth..particularly for the amount of play your son participates at. Even N yman admitted that his program had a conditioning hole in it. Pitching at higher levels is a holistic endeavor..cannot have one without the other, simple intent without supervised moderation and correction imo isn't an efficient method. Let me just pose the example; What if a kid devises a "crutch habit" in his delivery to increase speed but in doing so he starts completely losing accuracy? He's acheived what "just throwing hard" intent has stated..but become less of a pitcher for it. Now to achieve the higher levels he has to "overcome" the "crutch habit" (Things like slinging the glove, head violence as just a couple of examples), without injury and resume the process of fundementally increasing his capabilities..so what you are doing here is acheiving short term success (Potentially throwing harder) at the potential possible expense of the long term success..because let me tell you in high school varsity and beyond..reworking the whole product is nearly impossible due to the incredable speed and pace of events...I'd urge you to really consider this as you progress.