Skip to main content

Reply to "Top 3 takeaways from parents who have been there"

"Players do not get physically better or mentally better by hearing parental criticism of umpires, coaches, coaches decisions or teammates, etc. By the end of HS and into college, I think our role as their parent evolves. Off the baseball field, we need to be a parent and guide accordingly. When they are on the diamond, we are a fan having the wonderful opportunity to watch our son’s compete, succeed, and sometimes fail. Failing is many times good for them and their “failure” experience in HS, college or above is not cured or solved by an “ice cream.” Part of our role as a parent and “fan” is to appreciate a separation they often need from baseball and to honor that separation, unless they bring it to us for discussion. Whatever success they have, they "earn." Whatever failures they have, they learn from them and adjust. We are with them as their parent under either scenario but our relationship with or to them does not alter no matter what success, or not, happens on a baseball field."

Infieldad.....one of my favorite things I've read on this site! Going through the process with my 2019 now, and learning every day as things change that my job as a parent is certainly evolving and that my parental role around the diamond is more about watching and being supportive and allowing him to take ownership of this journey!