Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

I think as a student athlete, and a parent providing guidance for the student athlete, it is important to analyze the situation closely.  As the one providing guidance, I would not tell Ryno to transfer unless there were circumstances that warranted it:

• Wasn't a good fit academically.
  • He was so unhappy for whatever reason, he would be wasting his time remaining there from an academic, and an athletic standpoint.
  • Coaches have communicated he is not in their plans, he would be better off transferring because he's never going to play, etc.

I've mentioned before that I think most players have gotten the shaft at some point, but saying things like, "it was politics", "kid's family donates a lot of money to the program", etc., has never flown with me.  When I have felt Ryno got the short end of the stick, I've told him to work harder, or investigate what a teacher or coach wants from him.  I tell him that, "they are the boss", and "you aren't always going to like your boss".  "Find what it takes to make the teacher or the coach happy!"  

If it was strictly a PT situation as a Freshman, I would tell him to work harder, get stronger, get faster, etc.  If it is a PT situation, and the coach told him that he was never going to fit in, I would tell him to transfer.