Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

With all due respect, I think you might have set that invisible line between "team first" and "me first" at the wrong spot.  "Team first" begins when the "team" begins.  Before the team begins, the players sign up, try out, and are selected for the team.  Each year is a different "team," as players graduate and new players come on.  The different teams from year to year combine to make a "program."  Assuming baseball is such a priority for a kid that he's willing to switch schools for a better fit, then I don't think it matters if he's moving "up" to a more challenging program, or "down" to a program where he thinks he'll get to play more/earlier.  However, once the season begins (and, really, prep for the season), that is when the players need to put the team they chose to be on, first.        

I think coaches should have the perspective of "program first, team second, player third."  But just as coaches will do what's best for the coach (i.e., take a better job), players need to do what's best for them from year to year.  It's reasonable for a player to change schools/programs hoping for a better fit, or, put more clearly, for better personal development.  And I can't think of any reason why there would be a difference between college and high school in that logic.