Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

The vast majority of transfers have nothing to do with a player having a ME only attitude. They are simply a part of the game at this level. And really we are being naïve and disingenuous to suggest that every player doesn't have a ME in them. Every coach does as well. If you don't take care of the ME you can't expect ME to be a team player. Every team is made up of a bunch of ME's. The key is bringing all those ME's into a WE.

Players are there because they have been given an opportunity that they have earned. Sometimes that works out. Sometimes that doesn't work out. Sometimes it simply was not a good fit. It could be academic, make up of the player, not a good fit for the program, etc etc. Sometimes coaches make the call and tell the player verbally and or non verbally they need to move on. Sometimes players realize they will have a better opportunity to actually play if they move on.

Is a coach being a ME Coach for telling a kid they need to move on? Is he being a ME Coach for recruiting over another player? Is he being a Team Coach in those instances? How is that any different than a player deciding it is in his best interest to move on? So the Coach can make decisions but the player can't? Come on this isn't about kids being ME kids for transferring. It's about a clock that's ticking. You have worked your entire baseball life for this opportunity. You believe you can play and want that opportunity. You go somewhere where you feel you will get that opportunity.

Coaches at the college level have a very tough job. Especially at the D1 level with the 35 roster limits. Who is going to get drafted? Who will sign? Who do we need to sign if drafted? Who didn't get drafted that we thought would get drafted? Which signees got drafted? Which one's will likely sign? How many academic casualties will we have? How many guys are out due to injuries? Disciplinary issues? Guys simply leave school and decide they don't want anymore? On and on it goes. And we can only have 35 when it's all said and done. And we wonder why there are transfers? Really? How many would you start the fall with? And your trying to bring in the absolute best players you can bring in. Could it be that some really good players end up in a really bad situation? Should they stay and wait it out? Who's coming in next year? The clock is ticking.

All you can do is make the best decision for YOU that you can make. Grown people do that all the time when they choose a mate. And how does that work out many times? What happened? Life happened. You make the best decision you can make with the information you have and make the best of it. And if it all falls to pieces you pull it back together and fight on. It doesn't mean you messed up and did something wrong. You just experienced what we call life. It's not the end of the world. Many times its just part of the process and it is what you make of it. Many do quite well.