Skip to main content

Reply to "Transfer Observations and Questions"

keewart posted:
gunner34 posted:

my other question is as a freshman  if your not getting playing time right away its time to look around?    

I've said this before.....this seems to be the mentality of a lot of players (and parents).  I guess I would ask why the freshman "expected" significant playing time as a freshman?

1) RC told him he would get to play?   ......well, he sold the kid on the program, and did he say "would play" or "would get an opportunity to play"....two different things

2) Is the kid as good or better than the kids who have already been there 2,3 or 4 years?  If not...why would a frosh get PT over them?

3) Did he have a great fall his freshman year?  Hit the ball well, pitched well, etc?  Unfortunately that fall was his only "real" chance to earn significant PT as a freshman.  Once the Holidays are over, the team is concentrating on getting ready for the first game that's just a month away.  There's a lot to do...and putting different guys into different positions likely isn't one of the things that's going to happen much.

4) Did he make the most of any opportunities he got his freshman year?  Even if it's a late inning AB, it's a game situation and the coaches are looking for performance.  If a freshman got 8 AB's and struck out 6 times, that's what the coaches see. 

5) Do people (other than the kid and parents) see/feel that the kid deserved more PT?  My son's team had a parent who came to every game complaining that his kid wasn't playing....so much that it got to the point that other parents would purposely stay away from him at all costs.  The other parents could see his kid wasn't cutting it....and their sons were telling them that others were performing better...in games and in practice.  

6)....and last.....did the kid show up his freshman year in HS and expect to get significant PT over the sophomores, juniors and seniors?   Very likely the answer is NO!   I just don't understand why the mentality of stepping in as a freshman in college is different....the players are all bigger, stronger and older.