Skip to main content

Reply to "UNC Carolina Camps Nov 11 - 12"

teddy9 posted:

...  For the camp price, it's worth the experience in my opinion, I'd just like to temper the boy's expectations prior to arriving. ...

Looks like he has good speed, great grades and will have opportunities.  It seems you are aware at least to a good extent, he is not yet a player on the radar of top major D1 programs like UNC and this appears to be the typical camp invite.   That said, I assume he has developed quite a bit since his PG evaluation 16 months ago, so I cannot accurately factor that in with the information provided.

I will restate some of the basics in case you are not fully aware of some...

All colleges will run these types of camps to bring in money to the program and to the assistant coaches.  Occasionally, they will have dialog with a player they are recruiting and ask them to attend one of these camps as a follow-up and possibly a campus visit.  This invitation is not that.  The likelihood of another camper garnering serious consideration at a school like this is very slim.

These Power 5 schools only recruit the studs.

Recruiting for schools of this stature are pretty much done for 2019's.  Your son will need to start taking that into consideration as he formulates his recruiting plan.

If your son wants to go for the experience and to check out the campus and facilities and it is within budget, even though not necessarily targeting the right school from a current baseball fit, go and have a blast.  Be aware that there is a high likelihood that most of the instruction will come from a volunteer coach level or similar as opposed to the HC or top assistant.  This can vary.

I hope this helps with your efforts to temper expectations.  

PS - haha, just realized the dates.  Well, maybe it will help another prospective camper for another event another time 

Last edited by cabbagedad