Skip to main content

Reply to "UNC Carolina Camps Nov 11 - 12"

teddy9 posted:

“””Be aware that there is a high likelihood that most of the instruction will come from a volunteer coach level or similar as opposed to the HC or top assistant.””””

Above is a great point and something I’d like to avoid, even for the couple hundred $ fee.  The “invite” states a parent meeting on recruiting process, etc., to be given by the UNC head coach, I was hoping if he was around he also would provide direction to the boys. I rather have the mascot provide the parent talk and let the HC coach a little.  It states coaching  to be  done by coaching staff and / or current and former Tar Heels.  

Again, not trying to make this something more than the it is, but if we participate and Georgia Dugout Club Showcase type evaluators are directing things, it may burn a bit. 

Maybe it can be “man that was cool, except for the volunteer coaching” type trip. 

Yes, and to clarify, I meant one of the actual coaches on staff but one of the lower level volunteer coaches or grad assistants, usually just a year or two out of the program.  This is pretty typical.  Sometimes, you will get other local small school college coaches or JC coaches helping as well, depending on the size of the camp.  Main point was as you took it... often the HC is there for a token speech and not much more.  I'm referring to college camps in general and not necessarily the UNC camp.  I will say that camps stated as prospect camps tend to have more participation from the top guys than regular camps.  Still, it is often more observation than instruction.