Skip to main content

Reply to "Updating the Windup vs. Stretch debate"

The keys to generating extra velo from the windup are:

#1: Keep your head / chin over the rubber as you rock back, preferably straight back as opposed to a side step. The only reason guys have moved to the side step is that it is easier to set your plant foot in the slot, however, often this results in shifting your weight at a 45 to the plate. Why would you do this? Answer, you would not if you want to generate momentum to the dish.

#2: Stay in line with the plate. This is common sense. If I am walking towards a direction am I going to take a step to a 45, then head towards my target? No, I am not, only in pitching (flawed mechanics) would this be a valid theory.

#3: There is no "balance point." This is poison to Velocity. Why would I generate momentum, stop, pause, then head to the plate? Answer, only if I wanted to toss softer than I really can.  You "collect" yourself at the top & then continue rolling towards home.

Look at old clips of Gibson, Ryan & Kofaux from the "full" & you will see it clear as day.

Aside from this approach, you should just stay in the stretch as there is no benefit to the full, only misdirection & more moving parts.