Skip to main content

Reply to "USA Baseball NTIS Tryout"

keewart posted:

My son did not make it to Cary.  I believe he was qualifying at 15U? several (like 5) years ago.  Our experience:

There was a small attended "cattle call" event (where you paid a fee) to see if you qualified for the next stage. There were several of these around our state.

Then there was a large combine type state event (we paid a fee) to select the "state team" for each age division.  I had just read "Outliers" and my son had a January birthday, so I was excited that he was one of the older players in his group at the event....for once.

He made the state team, which then competed at a several day regional event against other states (where you paid another fee and hotel for 2 nights).  He performed very well, but didn't make it to the next step which was Cary.

We paid out 3 times....but the total was less than a week long camp we had done locally several years before.  The plusses:   He got measurables, a USA Baseball t-shirt that we paid for lol, a NTIS "regional" t-shirt which he completely wore out, and made lots of friends that he has played with and against in the years since, many at the college level. 

I will say, there was a tad bit of daddy ball, since the head coach of the state team had a pitcher on the team.  However, I look back on it as a good summer experience that didn't interfere with other tournaments or plans.

It is a buyer beware if you think your kid is going to Cary NC or going to get recruited.   This was only one small cog in the baseball wheel.

my son did make it Cary for 16u...but never had a chance to make the final team. I would echo the bolded comments here that we found it to be fun and a good experience. I don't regret it at all but I would never describe it as mandatory or of high importance.