Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

My first season we had 24 kids and I always started the best nine.  There wasn't a game where a single kid didn't play and rarely did any kid not get to hit.  The kids who worked hard in practice but lacked talent were still very jealous of the ones who seemed to put in less work yet got to start.  I had to see where we were at and how to approach everyone.  I wasn't the best coach as it was my first time. My practices were boring and I didn't communicate with the kids that much, but I tried to make everyone happy.  I set up a pizza party at the end of the season with some trophies for some, kept hidden for a speech.  All went in, grabbed a pizza or two and left without even sitting down.  I decided to dump all of the trophies in the trash.  I demoted myself to an assistant last year but was asked to return as the HC this year.  I decided to make this year school first.  We have 20 D's and F's in grades of our squad of 15 this year.  The kids with good grades will start and I hope to make very few subs.  If they don't like it, they can demote themselves to JV.