Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

In addition: I know I will probably get some push back here but that is fine & I welcome the debate.

We talk about the "student athlete." I understand that. I get the motive & I follow the logic. But let me ask you this. If Johnny goes 4/4 with 2 Dingers does Mr. Johnson who teaches his Civics class give a rip ? Does it raise his GPA? In fact, it has ZERO relation to his Civics class or any other class for that matter.  

From the perspective of the baseball coach, there are 2 kinds of players. Those who are eligible to play & those who are not. This is the Baseball Team. Not Glee Club, Honor Roll or the Academic All Conference Team. Your players may make those squads, great. That is not your mission although you can certainly encourage it & should. However, the truth is that some of these guys are not going to go to college & this is their last shot to play. They meet the eligibility guidelines & should be then evaluated as players.

If not, where does it end? Do you then take into account grades, community service, parent snack bar participation, fundraising??