Skip to main content

Reply to "Varsity High School Team - 22 players"

cabbagedad posted:

101 we have had some good exchanges.  I say this to help, not to pile on.  IMO, I think you are taking some of the NFHS stuff too literally.  I, too, lean heavily on the side of being more than a baseball coach, being a mentor, being a teacher of life lessons, etc.  But we have to always realize that we are baseball coaches first.  Most schools will provide reasonable parameters regarding grade requirements, attendance, behavior, etc., for a player to remain eligible.  Additionally, I'm all for requiring community involvement, having high standards for playing the right way, demanding that we are good teammates, etc.  It is fine to raise that bar if you think it is necessary.  But when it comes to between the lines and in the dugout, we need to make baseball mostly about baseball. 

It is also important, IMO, that at the HS age, kids start figuring out that they not only have to have the best work ethic but they have to have the best talent and ability to earn those starting spots.  Another key aspect to running a successful baseball program that the boys will take pride in, year in and year out, is to be competitive.  Regardless of W-L record, the boys will know you are not being truly competitive if you are playing guys based on grades and work ethic over talent.  You gotta roll out your best 9.  Otherwise, it's just another class.  That is the last thing the student athlete is looking for when he signs up for a sport.

What if you're getting run ruled every game even with the best 9?  The guys on the bench wouldn't understand.  They don't get that the kid who can't hit can at least make a throw from lf to 1b while you can't make a throw from 2b to 1b.