Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Increase"

roothog66 posted:
gunner34 posted:
2019Dad posted:
roothog66 posted:

Here's an example. The pitcher here threw one inning. As you can see, his third pitch was a gb out that probably left the bat at 90mph. He ends up getting credit for a 90 on PG and is being touted locally as having touched 90. BTW, no way can PG catch all of these. I only caught it because I was watching the game and know the kid.

It's a good point. As a rule of thumb, if there isn't another pitch within 2 mph (maybe 3 at the very outside) of the high pitch, it's probably a batted ball. Unless, of course, that pitch wasn't swung at! ;-)

ive noticed in game logs now that they are showing the range,  avg and top speed now  so might be easier to discern.    I would think over time  as he goes to more events you could see how he threw at other events and figure out there is a fluke.        

what have you seen in terms of how kids throw at PG events  vs.  in bullpens at home,   varies?   adrenaline adds a couple mph?   nervous subtracts?      I would tend to think they would try and put a few high throws on the board and then settle in to pitching  throwing strikes, getting outs.    

This particular kid had never gone above 85 before this, including a few PG tourneys over the summer where he topped out at 84 and 82. I actually found five or six like this from Jupiter where guys showed 1) a top speed at least 3mph above any other pitch thrown and 2) the high number occurred on a pitch that was hit. 

I also saw one occasion during Jupiter where a kid that tops out at 89 had one ball at 95 on a hard single. DK took that pitch off several hours later. So, they do catch some of these. I also was personally at another game where a kid I know threw one pitch at 90 even though he had never thrown a pitch exceeding 87 in that performance or any other. That pitch was not hit and I was standing with a scout who also got 90, matching the DK reading, so I can see that occasionally a legit velo increase can occur out of nowhere. 

I would think a simple query of pitch by pitch velocities by PG would find outliers, and it would be a simple scrub of the data.