Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Numbers?"

MNBaseballGuy posted:

I just found this site, wow what a great resource for parents/players going through this the first time.   

Probably a really dumb question, but here goes.  I have a 2020 SS/RHP that is trying to prepare to play college baseball.  We have held off on PG/PBR showcases until he was ready.  We did however do a prospect camp at a Big 10 School where they measured alot of the "showcase" type measurables.  I am trying to compare his results to others that have done showcases.  They reported his exit velo off a tee at 84.8 (avg. of 6 swings).  But he hit 86 two of the 6 times.  How is that recorded in most showcases???  High or Average??

We are doing a PBR event in the spring to get some video and a profile for recruiters.  But in the mean time I am trying to figure out (based on the only numbers we have) where he would rank in other events.

Thanks!

Depends on who he is being compared to. Those are good exit velo #s for a 2020, but if he hasn’t already peeked the interest of schools he likely will be best served by waiting on the showcases for a bit