Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Numbers?"

baseballhs posted:

We haven't completed this process yet, but we started a showcase and camp run in October.  I was worried by how many 2020s I saw committing.  Things started happening and it was better than we had hoped, or so I thought, until my son broke down and told me last week that he is overwhelmed and scared and not feeling at all ready.  He doesn't even drive yet.  The train is kind of rolling now and he wants to shut everything down.  I think you are smart to wait until Spring.  I'm worried now that he will miss opportunities because he is freaked out.  Not sure they ever feel ready but some must because they are committing every day.  I am now hearing from a few who have gone through this, that it wasn't as fun and exciting of a time for their boys as you would think.

It's early. As a 2020 the best thing he can be doing is getting as strong and as fast as he can during the off season, as well as continuing to refine his baseball skills. Focus on reps and rest in the off season. This will help him regain some confidence.

The process and all the talk can be overwhelming.  Every player has his own path, relay that to him and make sure he knows how early it is.  Players that project D1 and are physically mature are the players getting interest now.  Back off from planned winter showcases, and backoff on the constant conversation about anything related to recruiting.  This website is an excellent site for a dad to vent and inform himself of all the recruiting related events.    

A player has to be feeling good about his skills to be mentally prepared for showcasing.  I've got a 2018 and we had a few too many camps scheduled the past August, I had already paid for a camp and was ready to purchase airfare, son told me he was not feeling it, and it was a potentially pivotal camp that could get him to a dream school.  It was difficult for me to suck it up and tell my son, maybe it was one camp too many.  I knew it was critical to be "feeling it" to have the confidence needed  to showcase.  I cancelled the camp, ate the $895, and saw immediate relief with my son.  It just wasn't meant to be.  

Keep the blinders on, and don't worry about the other kids being recruited.  Get your son feeling good about himself and his skills.  Confidence is key.