Skip to main content

Reply to "VHSL Pitching Policy for 2014"

Just in case anyone ever reads this topic again.

I am a coach from the western part of the state.

From what we were explained at coaches clinics, while the wording of the VHSL decision in the Great Bridge/Hanover case (assuming what was listed was what they actually said) might need revision.

I actually talked to VHSL about this subject.

A pitcher who pitches 4-7 innings after two days rest may pitch 2 inning, after 3 days rest may pitch 3 innings.  Under the rule, once you pitch 2/3 innings you need one day of rest.  (This however does not apply to the situation above because he only pitched 1 inning)

Therefore in this instance the 1 inning rule would come into effect, which allows you to pitch 4 straight days before needing a day of rest.  Thus when the Hanover pitcher tossed 7 innings, all he could pitch on Saturday was 3 innings, however he pitched one,  pitching one inning allows you to pitch to the full extent of the rule the next day.  (Example I pitch 1 inning today, I can come out and pitch 9 tomorrow)

So although I don't think it was explained well to whomever received the explanation about 1 inning day being a rest day.  I do feel this was interpreted the way most coaches were interpreting it throughout the state.

This has however been changed.  Now the rule states that if you return before you are able to pitch fully, you must have 1 day of rest.  (I'm assuming this may have changed because of this issue with Hanover)  So in that situation he would not have been able to pitch 1 inning saturday and then 6 on sunday.    He would have likely skipped pitching the 1 inning and just pitched sunday.