Skip to main content

Reply to "VHSL Pitching Policy for 2014"

Midlo - I agree and Good luck with that suggestion.  Governing bodies rarely admit a mistake until there is overwhelming unhappiness to force change.  See Ray Rice last fall.

Being correct 100% of the time is perceived to be a significant part of the governing bodies power so admitting mistakes amounts to losing credibility which is just not in the DNA of decision making committees.

I would use replay for officiating as a example of this mindset in sports.  Officials in every sport do a great job and I do not think that replay has eroded officials credibility in any sport that replay has been implemented.  In fact it has generally removed the blame the Referee from post game discussions.

So, I agree that a simple statement along the lines you suggest - This is a new rule and upon further review first application has been determined to be flawed based on the intention/goal so here is the correct interpretation...  yada, yada.  

Not enough organized opposition to VHSL so we will get the pretzel logic that won't admit to making a mistake instead.  Perhaps they might revisit it after a couple of years to "tweak" the rule for some reason and then they can fix the mistake with that cover.  Most likely way for it to be resolved IMO.