Skip to main content

Reply to "VHSL Pitching Policy for 2014"

Originally Posted by redbird5:
Originally Posted by AmericasPastTime:

The majority of arm injuries that occur in high school athletics are related more to the lack of training and/or improper mechanics rather than over throwing...

This is simply your opinion, correct?

The thought that a lack of training and improper mechanics is a bigger issue than over-use seems to be inconsistent with the general facts.  There is greater training today than 15 years ago; there is definitely more pitching instructors than 15 years ago; and yet there are more injuries.  The major negative change in the last 15 years is over-use.  Throwing a ball from the MOUND at maximum velocity causes major stress on the arm.  Obviously it's worse if you're out of shape and you're throwing with poor mechanics.  But even the best conditioned pitcher with the best technique needs 4-5 days in-between outings.  If not, MLB pitchers would pitch more games throughout the season.  I understand pitchers need to throw in-between outings but not from the MOUND.

With all of this said, I think the overall issue is a LEADERSHIP issue.  If athletic-directors would fire coaches for abusing pitchers than much of this is unnecessary.  If parents were to say "my son has reached his limit" to youth, travel ball, and HS coaches this would all be unnecessary.  Instead we need rules and guidelines because a general lack of LEADERSHIP and ACCOUNTABILITY.