Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

ironhorse posted:
Scotty83 posted:

I don't understand the wrist bands in baseball.  A number system that can't be figured out by the other coach is easy enough without the wristbands. 

Can you explain an example? I'm not sure how to do that, but if it's possible I'd love to hear the explanation.

You just use one number per action. Like 1 for steal with a take. Then change which spot in the order the number with meaning is. Ex. If it's the first number then call out 137. If the second number 317 or third 371. The 1 told them what to do. Depending on the other coach and how the games going sometimes you have to change it a lot some times only once a game. I've had a couple teams have trouble with it at the start of the season. So I had a dry erase board in the dugout only my players could see then every inning write down which action number it would be. In the rare occasion say we had a lot of steals or bunts in an inning the any same number all three times, like 444 or 777, meant move the action number up one. It really doesn't matter if every coach in the district knows 1 means steal. If they gear up for a steal every time you call a 1 then just put a 1 in every number you call just in a nonaction spot in the order. 

Its also pretty easy to bait a coach that thinks he has it figured out. I actually got a coach once that got all caught up in it to walk a kid with pitchouts trying to catch a kid stealing lol.