Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

ironhorse posted:

And for the record, we don't yell out numbers. We still use an indicator and spots on the body to represent numbers. Although, with some of our non-honor student kids I've been known to yell them out.

True story: I once literally yelled from the third base box, "Tyler!!!!! You are stealing! On the next pitch!" Great kid, understood the signs...he just forgot them between the time he acknowledged them and the actual pitch happened. He was one of those kids that very frequently got caught up watching the game while he was supposed to be playing the game.

(Believe it or not, he was safe on the steal. Defense froze. Probably thinking there was no possible way that the steal was actually on.)

As for the cards: never used them, never liked the shouting out of numbers and whatnot, and just one more thing to have to bring along and keep organized on game day. I totally get that they can be very effective--but I rarely called the pitches (I had a catcher for that), and never felt that the defense needed to be so complicated that a few simple gestures (signs) couldn't suffice. Same with offense. If I really needed to do something exotic, I could just ask Blue for time...