Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

4T2 posted:

True story: I once literally yelled from the third base box, "Tyler!!!!! You are stealing! On the next pitch!" Great kid, understood the signs...he just forgot them between the time he acknowledged them and the actual pitch happened. He was one of those kids that very frequently got caught up watching the game while he was supposed to be playing the game.

(Believe it or not, he was safe on the steal. Defense froze. Probably thinking there was no possible way that the steal was actually on.)

OK, slight side-step from the OP topic but 42's story reminded me of a story I probably told here before...

Moons ago, coaching a youth game (12's/13's ??), I have a player who is the real life version of Forrest Gump.  Very animated, thick glasses, very smart but very not, wore the pants REALLY high, the running form was dead ringer for Gump.

He had to use the restroom mid-game, which was out beyond CF (no fence) at a school.  He is making his way back and is due up to bat.  Everyone yelling for him to hurry, he does his patented sprint straight through the field...  arms pumping high, belt buckle somewhere near the chest, glasses bouncing - all fans, players, umps busting up.  He makes his way to the batters box and catches his breath.  I am coaching third and give him the bunt sign.  Indicator was second sign.  He steps out of the box and motions in a very animated way... to make sure he got the sign right... with wide eyes and an inquisitive look, he flashes two fingers (second sign) and then squares toward me, holding perfect bunting form, in effect confirming with me via his secret code but, at the same time, telling the whole world clearly what he was about to do. 

15 years later, every kid and coach from that team and every parent that was at that game still laughs at that five minutes in time that he gave us.  My guess is he's probably a rocket scientist for NASA now.

Last edited by cabbagedad