Skip to main content

Reply to "What are a scouts looking for in the swing?"

PGStaff posted:

You can spot a fluid swing that looks somewhat effortless.  You can spot bat speed, pitch recognition and barrel control.  And still there are some that show those things and still can't hit.  There is a reason scouts flock to see top prospects play live.  They have already seen the swing, they want to see results of that swing against the best possible pitching.  By results I don't mean statistics.  Sometimes the best hitter goes 0-4.

So to answer the question, scouts are looking for hitters that hit well against good pitching. The swing can look perfect, but that is nowhere near enough.  Lots of great looking swings that don't hit.   Should add... not many bad looking swings that can hit.  Hitting does involve natural ability, but hitters also evolve over time.

If I were to give one simple tip to a young prospect without talking about mechanics...  Be aggressive, but never to the point where you are out of control. 

I'm a believer that the biggest difference in hitters isn't the swing as much as it is what's between the ears of hitters.  But that is another subject.

I'm a believer that the biggest difference in hitters isn't the swing as much as it is what's between the ears of hitters. But that i

This is probably the most important statement that determins what a good hitter is.  Understanding the game and being a student of the game.  So simple yet so difficult to achieve.