Skip to main content

Reply to "What are some good D3 and D2 baseball programs with decent academics?"

Claudette--I would be very interested to hear an update on your family's college search and visits, etc. While I am at it, I would very much second the advice from many of the previous posters, especially what Baseball-Fever wrote about Oberlin.

I just returned from a visit to Oberlin College with my 12-year-old (baseball playing) son for my 25th class reunion. We had a chance to meet the new head baseball coach while we were there. The baseball program has been on the rise for a few years now and the new Head Coach was the assistant coach for the past five years or so (the former head coach is now in OC athletics adminstration, so the legacy continues). He met us on campus, gave my son a lesson and worked him out, and then gave us a tour of the new sports facilities, while answering all of our questions.

The OC baseball program has expanded the field of prospects that OC recruits to both coasts, last year scoring a kid from a well-regarded high school program in Scottsdale, AZ.

While the tuition, room and board costs are relatively high, the financial aid has always been generous at Oberlin, and the cost of living there is remarkably low. The student body is brainy to be sure (I'm still not sure how I got in there when I went) but not annoyingly so, and the availability of varsity, club, and intramural sports leads to very high participation.

The college has made a major athletics facilities investment over the past 20 years including the brand new Williams Field House in which the baseball team has dedicated cages and equipment enabling them to practice indoors regardless of the weather.

If it's not too late already, I would very much encourage you to contact OC using their online recruitment materials and email Coach Abrahamowicz. If you want more of a personal perspective, please PM me.

Best,

David