Skip to main content

Reply to "What Do You Do?"

RJM posted:

Life goes in phases. Once long ago i had a different life before family life. As a kid time was all locked up in sports (grew up in the three sport era). I did find time to water ski and snow ski. As everyone knows college baseball was a huge time commitment. I remember waking up on some summer weekends wishing I could to the beach. But I had a summer league game.

After college I had money, was single and went nuts. My hobbies became things like dirt biking, white water rafting and canoeing (busted one in half on a rock on the Snake River), jumping out of airplanes, glacier climbing, hiking and skiing Tuckerman’s Ravine in the spring (on Mt Washington there’s a list of people who died sking off the edge). The subtle things i did were basketball, two man beach volleyball and some golf.

On one of my first dates with my future wife missed a putt and chucked her putter thirty feet. I knew she was the woman for me. Unfortunately, years later she was throwing the clubs at me. 

One if the biggest buckets of water on my lifestyle was when my wife said, “You have kids now. You have to stop doing this crazy **** that could get you killed.”

The irony of her statement was the friend I did all this crazy stuff with died at thirty-four when his chute failed while taking his para-sailing instructor’s certification test. It was one of those little chutes you jump off cliffs with. 

I like to watch the cliff jumpers down on the Snake in Twin Falls.