Skip to main content

Reply to "What % of high school baseball players can hit home runs?"

bobbyaguho posted:
2020dad posted:
bobbyaguho posted:

My 2014 son's team hit 11.He hit 7 of them(2 opposite field). 2015 team hit 10 and 2016 team hit 4. Field dimensions 325 down the lines,370 in the gaps and 400 in center. Most of the HS fields they played on were similar in dimensions.The big difference was the micro climates.Schools closer to the Bay and ocean often had heavy marine layer and the ocean breeze blowing in which kept more balls in the park.The schools out in the East County have a much different desert like climate.The ball really carries well out there.I suspect our team would have had 20 plus HR's if we had played out there.

The 2014 senior class has four players that are playing in college.

D1 :RHP

D2: MIF

D3: OF(son),RHP

Either you have power or you don't.Either you have plus bat speed or you don't. BBCOR bats have never been an excuse for lack of power production. Many coaches still whine about them though.

BBCOR is a reality. I think everybody at all age levels should swing bbcor or wood so I am a fan. But to say essentially it makes no difference...  The old bats from 15 years ago probably add 50 to 60 feet maybe more!  It's a huge difference. And really didn't bbcor come around less than 10 years ago?  Anything before bbcor is not even close to a fair comparison. 

2020dad,

BBCOR was mandated here in SoCal beginning with the 2011 HS season which was my son's freshman season.It's all he ever used in HS baseball.The summers were/are wood bat leagues. I'm with you. I like wood and BBCOR .

What I don't like is when coaches blame their team's lack of offensive prowess on the bats. I still hear some HS coaches grumble about this.It's even more embarrassing when a college coach whines about it. The bats are not the problem.The hitting philosophy of the coaching staff  and the players recruited are the real culprit for lack of production. Again, either a player has REAL power or he doesn't.

That is not true at all, power can be trained, getting stronger, changing mechanics, and overload underload training can help power. Power is from bat speed, which you can train. It's not all genetics.

Also how would scouts judge power on a 2-8 scale?